Monday, October 6, 2008

~Let the hauntings begin.

So I promised ya'll that I would one day get around to telling you some more spooky if not downright scary ghost stories about Savannah, and today is your lucky day.
The following story comes from one of Al Cobb's books Savannah's Ghosts. If you are really interested in the tales of Savannah, I would highly recommend this author, because you will find every ghost story you want to know about Savannah in his books. I am a little bias though, because I found the answer to 432 Abercorn (finally) in one of his books.
This story gives me the chills every time I read it, and let's just say I never want to be caught after dark on West Oglethorpe Avenue, and that is saying a lot since I tend to waltz right in to a haunted situation. So here it goes, enjoy.
Apparently, West Oglethorpe Avenue is haunted. The whole blasted street, and not in a good way. Most of the time you have those friendly ghosts, those wandering ghosts, or those just plain curious ghosts. Sometimes though you get those not so nice ghosts, the ones that are of a nasty breed. This story deals with that nasty breed.
A couple and another renter live (probably should use lived here), in a old row house on West Oglethorpe. They shared more than just the same house. Strange things were happening. Very strange things indeed. Things like shampoo bottles flying across the bathroom, cold spots throughout the house, loud crashes for no reason, and the feeling that you were being watched where ever you went in the house, I'm sure at least one or two of ya'll have experienced this not so comfy sensation.
One night two of the three were away, and left was the young man that lived there, poor guy. So there he was in his room with his dog on the bed with him, and suddenly the dogs ears perked up, and he looked as if he was listening and waiting. Now I will tell ya'll when my dogs do this it really freaks me out, especially when they do it for no apparent reason. Suddenly this man started hearing strange sounds, like a flag in the wind, and that is when the dog lost it. Barking and growling and generally going crazy. He felt a sudden cold chill over his bed, then saw something dark hovering over his bed, all the while the dog was trying to attack this thing that was floating there. He felt a cold finger push into his ear, and push his head down, all the while trying to escape this thing that was torturing him. Then he started to smell something foul and disgusting. Finally he screamed, and what ever was harassing him left just as quickly as it came. The dog went back to being a dog, and everything went back to normal. Now what gets me is that their have been many of the same type of attacks, if not worse happen in a two to three mile range on the same street. Just what in the heck is going on? It seems like something dark is hanging out there ready to scare the pants off anyone. My advice, if you ever come to Savannah stay off that street.

4 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

Hmmmmm...creepy! Those are mean ghosts! I want to know what the horrible smell was!

Sometimes It's Good said...

Just in time for my trip to Savannah on Thursday! I read that book to prepare. Actually I can't wait to go to Savannah...but maybe not that street. Glad you're back to blogging!

Tess Kincaid said...

Okay, I'll stay away from that street if ever I visit! When we had dogs, they would do that, too. Particularly at the same spot in the dining room...stare at the ceiling and bark.

Yes, we missed you! :)

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

What a great story,I have had my own ghost,so I know the terror.Mine weren't bad,just it scares me.I also have a picture of an orb by my green house and Gazebo.I love your ghost stories.The old south holds some of the most scariest area's.Thanks for sharing this with us.Hugs Marie Antionette