Monday, February 25, 2008

The story continues....

Not many people could reckon with her. She was a spit-fire, and good lord the woman could move mountains if she wanted, in fact I'd seen it done a couple of times. But I knew that she would have the answers, even if she didn't want to give them to me. Their was no way of sneaking or lying or persuading her, she could see right through anybody with one look. She could go from warm and cheerful, to cold as ice if you rubbed her the wrong way, and that "she" was my grandmother. My grandparents lived in the big old house on the hill for as long as I could remember. They had a booming business in town, and were known to be on the eccentric side. But people seldom talked gossip about them, for my grandmother had a way to find out every time. Some said she had eyes in the back of her head, or ears that could hear from the next county over. Whatever it was people who did talk, talked once, and then soon quit, as though grandma had put a sour taste in their mouth, or a curse upon their head.
I knew grandma would know though, she always did. She would be able to tell me what that creature was that I had seen. Now what I would have to do to get her to talk beat me, but it was worth finding out. Now let me explain something to you here. My grandparents were known as "eccentric", because well they just were. Grandma was in love with plants. And we're not just talking your regular old house plants, we're talking exotic plants. Plants that were some of the most beautiful things you'd ever seen, but plants that were as poisonous and deadly as a bite from a rattler. She kept a greenhouse off the main house, and if she wasn't slaving away at the business, you would find her knee deep in potting soil, or pruning one of her babies. On that particular day I found grandma in the greenhouse, documenting the daily activities of her plants. The air was humid, and the smell was a collage of jasmine, damp earth, and a sweet perfume of something incense like. Plants were every where you looked. Blooms the size of watermelons, and leaves spread throughout the room like a thicket you lose yourself in out in the woods. Vines were growing all over the walls and ceiling, and every now and then you catch a glimpse of a iron table or chair. And there was grandma, nose deep in her ledger that she kept. Scribbling away, I was almost scared to rouse her, lord knows what mood she would be in today. Just before opening my mouth to catch her attention, she looked up at me over her wire glasses, as though she knew I was there all along.
"And what can I do for you Miss Emily Jane?"
Possibly a good mood I thought, she used her nickname for me.
"Well grandma I had a few questions for you, if you had some spare time?"
"Spare time, darlin' child look around, does it look like I have any spare time? I have to document today's activities, and lord willing I'll be able to do it without dying."
Now this was typical grandma, she was probably going to live to be two-hundred, the women was....well she was just too mean to die. But come hell or high water she was gonna make you think her time was coming and it was coming fast.
"What kind of questions anyhow?" She said looking right through me.
"Well I wanted to ask you if you've ever seen anything strange around the house, on a rainy day for instance?"
"Seen anything strange around this old house! Do you know this house was built before the war between the states! This house breeds strange honey. I've seen my fair share of rats the size of newborns, and creaks in the old floor boards that would convince you this house was alive! What kind of question are you trying to ask me?"
"Well, I just..."
"Well you just what? Cat got your tongue? You've seen something, and it spooked you, and you wouldn't be in here nosin' around if you hadn't, now would you? What did you come across, and get to the point, I don't have all day."
"Alright grandma."
"Don't you alright grandma me, I'll rake you over the coals if you plan of getting a foul mouth with me young lady."
"Grandma I was in the sitting room working on my research paper last week when it rained so bad. I got to feeling strange, like something was watching me. I shrugged it off at first, but I couldn't shake it. I looked up and through the window, and found myself face to face with some short of child like creature. It looked like a malnourished child covered in moss and earth."
She looked at me for quite sometime without saying anything. I could tell she was disturbed by what I had said, in fact I had never seen her look the way she looked at me. She looked spooked almost, and believe me, my grandmother did not get spooked, ever. And then I heard a voice that almost made me jump out of my skin.
"My dear girl, you've had your first meeting with the rain children."
I turned around, and sure enough there was my sweet hearted grandfather. He had blended in with the plants, because his normal attire was a flower print Bermuda shirt, shorts, and sandals. And there he sat in the old recliner that grandma allowed him to have in the greenhouse, because it was the only way to keep him there for a long period of time. Without a comfortable seat, my grandfather wouldn't even stick around for the president. He looked at me from over his paper, with curiosity.
"I wonder what you did to spark their attention, they've got an interest in you, if they let you see one of them. Did you hear the laughter?"
And that was when grandma jumped in guns blazing.
"I will not have this talk in my presence! I will not sit here and listen while you babble on about nonsense and noises and creatures that don't exist! I will not have it!"
And with that grandma slammed her ledger shut and stormed out like a tornado ripping through a trailer park.
Grandpa continued to look at me over his paper.
"Well dear, now that she's showed her colors, sit down a spell, and tell me all about it."

Please bear with me on this. These are very rough drafts, and I'm sure things will get rearranged and reworded once I read over it a couple of times. But I sure do appreciate ya'll taking a look at my stories, it really means alot to me!!

6 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

OMG!!!! Drop what you're doing right now woman! I want to read more...squeak it out! love love it dear Emily, xxoo, Dawn

maggiegracecreates said...

You are certainly very talented. This is good stuff. I cannot wait to read the next post.

Lady Em said...

Thanks ya'll!! I would love to spend the day writing but work is a calling.
Thank you so much for your sweet, encouraging comments, it means alot to me!!

For Love Of Home said...

Emily, I just read the story and you are on the right track...I love it! Please don't put it off too long, I can't wait to read more.
Cindy

Ottilias Veranda said...

Hi Emily, thanks for visiting my place and thanks for Your warming comments! You have a great story going on here yourself! Love it!
I will wait for it to continue...
This is so fun to almost write "online" isn´t it? I don´t know how my story will end yet, but that is half the fun to publish something before it´s finnished!
Liisa

Unknown said...

How do you come up with this? Is it just a fertile imagination?
I've tried helping a friend write a book and develop characters and it tweren't easy! Wow! You're stories are easy to read. Which to me means, you write well.