Monday, May 26, 2008

432 Abercorn-The Benjamin J. Wilson House




Alright ya'll, I've been pushed in the right direction regarding 432. The following is information found at The Georgia Historical Society here in Savannah, the county websites, and my new favorite books by Savannah author Al Cobb.
432 or The Benjamin J. Wilson house was built in 1868 and completed in 1869 by Mr. Wilson who moved to Savannah after The Civil War, or as we like to call it down here, "The War Between the States." The house has sixteen rooms and two stories, and the present owner started renovations, but as it states on the one of the county websites, the renovations have stopped and the house has been "left to deteriorate."
Now here's the juicy stuff. Ya'll know I've been rooting around for information on this house for some time now. Lord did I look high and low trying to find something out!! Well who would have thought that what I was looking for was right under my nose the whole time!! I picked up Al Cobb's book, Savannah's Ghosts in the bookstore two weeks ago, read it, fell in love and realized I need to buy his other books as well. So off I went on Saturday with Mrs. Dawn from The Feathered Nest to Barnes&Noble for some much needed bookstore and girl time. I then bought Danny's Bed- A Tale of Ghosts and Poltergeists in Savannah, Georgia. Well wouldn't you know when I got to the last pages of this wonderful book I was staring straight at a story on 432 Abercorn!! In his book Danny's Bed, Al Cobb tells about this house that I think I've fallen in love with. It is haunted but not by the "ghosts" we've heard and been told about. In 1973 the family that lived there at the time had some ghostly encounters with ectoplasm leaking down the wall, and an apparition materialize in front of one family member, but the spirit was that of a women who was wearing what seemed to be turn of the century clothing climbing up the stairs. The family reported furniture being knocked over, boxes being moved, and orbs being seen in the house. It was found out by the author that a man committed suicide in the 1940's on the second floor of the house. The owner now says that she has had no encounters with the paranormal at all. Interestingly enough, Al Cobb's son saw the spirit of the women upon visiting the house, and they have caught photo's of ghostly mists. I'm not giving to much away here because I want you to run to the bookstore or order these books for yourself. If you are interested at all in the ghosts stories of Savannah then I highly recommend these fabulous books.
Here is a list of Al Cobb's books for you!!
Danny's Bed A Tale of Ghosts and Poltergeists in Savannah. Georgia
Savannah's Ghost's
Savannah's Ghost's II
All these books again are written by Savannah author and native Al Cobb and they are worth it!! They are $9.95 each, and I do hope you order them, because they have fascinated me, taught me things I never knew about Savannah, and kept me on my toes!!
I hope ya'll all had a wonderful Memorial day and a great weekend!!

6 comments:

Rae said...

I bet that tour guide lady laughed all the way home after my tour. She gave a good show, though, LOL!

Thanks for the info, I think I'll look into buying this house so I can nurse its wounded pride. :-)

Betsy Brock said...

What an interesting post! I had to look up ectoplasm, since that was a new "ghost" word to me! :)
Your favorite house has a neat history!

Tess Kincaid said...

Hey, I've been waiting for you to get back to 432~! The Al Cobb books sound interesting...thanks for the tip.

We've had a few more ghostly occurances here at the manor recently. Last week, when my daughter was home, we were all sitting in the living room talking about the ghost and who it might be. My son mentioned that it could be Chief Leatherlips who was killed near here. Then I said that I thought it was Laura, the woman who died in the house. Right at the moment that I said her name, a plant on a nearby table shook and several leaves fell off! We all saw it! Strange.

Then the other night, my bedroom door loudly opened (it was latched tight)and stayed open about 12 inches. Really scared me.

Betsy Brock said...

Ok Em ~ I think you and I have convinced Willow to do another blog about her house ghosts! yea!

Tess Kincaid said...

Em, yes you two did. Come on over to Willow Manor. I posted on our ghost again today.

Gotta get a little recorder! :)

Margaret said...

The angel photos are so lovely!