Thursday, September 11, 2008

~A thing for blue




Pregnancy has brought on a lot of changes. The normal changes that you see in your body, and then the weird little changes, like your personal taste. Who would have thought that I would start liking colors that I never really thought much about? Now let me tell ya'll, red is by far my favorite color. I love red. Red walls, red lampshades, red duvet covers and sheets, chipped red barn yard paint on furniture, tomatoes, well you get my point. Lately though I have had a thing for blue, you can call it a crush, and I don't think it's going away. I had a navy blue room once in high school, that is about all my experience with blue. Oh and Brent Boy painted our bathroom a turquoise blue color because it was the only paint lying around. Other than that, I am not a blue connoisseur. Yesterday I caught myself staring in deep contemplation at a dark blue towel that we have. I was just staring away thinking, man that is such a pretty color. Blue to me has a depth that is incredibly deep, no matter what the shade. It's comforting in a way to, safe I suppose. And that is just what I have been looking for. In between all that's going on in my life, the daily ends and outs, the economic stresses, the work stresses, and the moving stresses ( we are planning on moving as soon as we can), who would have thought that a blue towel would give me a sense of comfort, safety and peace? I have always been a creature who like to lounge in cozy surroundings. I am very sensitive to my surroundings as well, so maybe that has something to do with it. Moments where you find yourself just staring at something because it's beautiful and so simple are the best. I love the way that lamps cast a warm glow, or the way books are lined on a bookshelf. The way that candles flicker, and a clean warm kitchen late at night with only a nightlight to light the room glows. The sound of a dryer going when you go to sleep, the smell of clean sheets, breakfast being cooked early on a Saturday morning. Yes I am a creature of comfort. So when we move, whenever that may be, because we and both sides of the family are chopping at the bit for us to move closer to home, I know a room will get painted blue. I am not sure which shade yet, but I guess it really doesn't matter, because I seem to now love the color blue.

5 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

It's so true! I was always a little hesitant to chose a baby name when I was pregnant for fear I wouldn't like the name down the road, when I was no longer pregnant. Your tastes do change. Interesting, isn't it? Enjoy the blue!

Betsy Brock said...

I love all the things you said...enjoying the simple, beautiful things around you....appreciating each thing. :)

Unknown said...

It's so crazy how those hormones heighten all of your senses.
I still love letting something catch me unawares like that and just sit and comtemplate and ENJOY!

The Feathered Nest said...

Hey sweet girl!!! We sure missed all of yall at the b'day party today...I do think that she really liked herself as a fairy...I hope you're feeling good ~ Miss you all so much, xxoo, Dawn

Vee said...

I've never heard that gals start liking different colors during pregnancy...that's interesting!

Just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed your list of comforts...it was comforting in and of itself. :D