Friday, March 21, 2008

A Meeting Is Made.

I awoke to a room filled with morning sunlight. I knew I was snug and tight in my grandmother's old iron bed. I looked out the window, trees swaying in the wind, still groggy and hurting from my fall. But most of all confused as ever and desperate for answers. I made my way out of bed, noticing I was in one of my grandmothers nightgowns, with her socks on my feet. I grabbed a lavender cotton robe that someone had layed out for me, and started to make my way downstairs. I stopped on the second step, I heard voices. Some recognizable and others not. I heard grandma and grandpa, that strange English accent that sounded like it was coming from a miniature man, and another voice of a women with a twang of Scottish to it. My grandmother was arguing with the Scottish women from what I could tell.
"I don't think now is the time to tell her." My grandmother said sternly.
"Well you certainly didn't think that a day ago when she passed out in the barn, white as snow from what she'd seen." The miniature English accent said.
Stay out of this Sir Stuart, you will not make decisions for the what I think is the best interest of my granddaughter." My grandmother said in a voice that would chill anyone to the bone. The famous grandma voice I thought.
"Now Magda don't you think that it is time that she knows, all the signs, all the visits, and the questions she's had, I'm surprised we weren't faced with this years ago." My grandfather said, again not in rhyme?
"I will make the decision! I will decide what we will choose to tell her!" This time my grandmother had lost that icy cool she always had, and was screaming like a banshee.
All went silent for a few minutes until I heard her talk. Her voice was calming, and filled me with a warmth and comfort and I felt safe just hearing her speak.
"The girl needs to know what she faces. The girl needs to know the truth. I've watched her for many years, and she is ready. Their is no other way, we tell her now, we tell her to enlighten her, to give her something she has always been missing, to protect her. We tell her because we must." The Scottish accent lulled me into a trance almost, and all the anxiety I had been feeling left me, and I felt light.
"We will tell her now, because she has been standing on the stairs for sometime now, and I am perfectly confident that she has heard us all. My dear child won't you come down and join us in the living room?"
I was nervous instantly, I didn't know what awaited me, who awaited me. I slowly cautiously walked into the living room, to find my grandmother, looking as though she hadn't slept in days, to my grandfather in his usually attire, looking drained as well, but with a warm smile on his face. To a strange little man, about the height of a small four year old, propped in one of my grandmothers wing back chairs with overalls and a red coat on, and a red pointed hat sitting in his lap. His hair was white and long, and he had a beard as pure and white as snow. He was round and jolly looking, reminding me of a miniature Santa Claus. He smiled at me, knowing I was studying him in shock, and when I must of looked as though I recovered somewhat, he smiled at me and said, "well hello love, a pleasure to finally meet you, I'm Sir Stuart, and from what it looks like you've gathered to answer your question, yes I am a gnome."
Then I looked to my right and faced the voice that had been talking to me, the voice that knew somehow I was on the stairs hearing everything. And I came face to face with one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Her hair was as red as Mr. Stuart's coat, eyes a blazing green. She wore a green wool sweater, thick and high around her neck, jeans that were slightly faded and riding boots that came up to her knees. And dangling around her neck was a necklace with a spiral charm with a rock black as night in the middle, no not a regular rock, as I looked closer I saw movement in it, people that were moving as in another world, and I looked up from her necklace to her eyes that seemed to look right into me and I knew this women wasn't an ordinary women, no this women was a witch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Chilling.
Hey, I tagged you for a book meme if you wanna play.

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE IT!!!! Emily you are cookin' girl! love you, Dawn