Saturday, July 5, 2008

Forget the car, let's take the boat.

























So if ya'll didn't know, the water and sewer systems in Savannah are ancient, along with everything else. The city will patch up one or two every couple of years, but a major overhaul would mean ripping the city apart. Now when it really rains here, several parts of Savannah flood. The historic district, Ardsley Park and Orin Heights, right in the middle of where we live. Usually it's just a few streets that flood, and that is no big deal, because no damage is done. This morning however we had some ferocious thunderstorms and we woke up to no power and our road flooded to the max. I spoke with a lot of our neighbors that have been here longer than we have, and they told me that they haven't seen it this bad in years. So of course Brent-Boy, my big bass fisherman redneck, decided that he would take a ride in our little Jon boat down our street. I have to say I was a little embarrassed, but all the neighbors got a kick out of it. So as bad as the flood was, even though it did minor damage to a few houses and some cars, we had a morning of meeting the neighbors, and some good ol' southern hospitality. It's been thundering off and on, and we've had a slight drizzle here and there, and we've been checking the weather like crazy. It looks as though some storms are moving in again, but hopefully they'll skip us. Even though we got flooded, we got the rain that we so desperately needed. Here are some pictures from this morning, and yes I was out walking in it. In fact it was like a neighborhood party in the rain.

7 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

OMG, that is some high water! Hope your place doesn't get any water damage. Keep us posted. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Lady Em said...

Oh we're fine, thank the Lord!! We didn't have any water damage, and all the water is gone!! Thank goodness!!

The Feathered Nest said...

OH MY EMILY!!!! This is incredible! I'll have to show these pics to Dennis in the morning! Of course, only Brent would take his boat out!!! Did he take his fishing gear too? :) Hope you guys had a great Fourth, we missed you all so much, xxoo, Dawn

Sometimes It's Good said...

I'm glad you are OK! Can't wait to go to Savannah in Oct. Hope it doesn't flood when I'm there. I love your blog!

Unknown said...

Heard about that rain, we got our share, but no flooding, thankfully. Saw in the paper where about 20,000 people lost electricity! Wow. I was waiting for our to go out, but it never did.
Whew!

Unknown said...

BTW, is that you in the first pic? Is your hair RED?!

Lady Em said...

Yes that is me!! It's me looking trashy in my pj's and no makeup, and my hair is red!!