Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Oh Savannah How I Love You, But You Are So Very Hot!!
















Our air conditioning is yet again on the fritz, and Savannah is terribly hot in the summer. I mean hot hot, steaming hot. I love Savannah but in the summer I could probably do with something along the lines of the Swiss Alps, or Antarctica. We get bugs here to, big ol' scary bugs. In fact I am sometimes amazed by the bugs we get here, and the mosquito's are awful. I layer to do laundry. But I have to say in the summer here, just like in the dead of winter, their is a rough beauty that makes Savannah what it is. Without the heat and the humidity, we wouldn't have our giant elephant ears, our magnolia blooms, or our azalea bushes that almost bloom all year here. Summer is when the wildlife in Savannah comes alive, and when the tourists really come rollin' in. If you make a trip out to the islands, people are catching fish and blue crab by the bucket, and the toughies are catching black fin, bonnet head and sand sharks. I've seen sea turtles the size of a large dining room table take fishing line, and jelly fish caught in cast nets. Summer thunderstorms roll in, and if you are lucky enough to be on River Street when it happens, it sets the stage, it is truly amazing. Summer here is hot and it can and will I can guarantee you be miserable if you are outside in the middle of the day. The mosquito's will swarm, the cicada's will sing, and the Spanish moss with blow calmly in the humid breeze. All you can really do is kick back, make sure you have a good fan, good bug spray, an ice cold drink, and you might just find yourself falling in love yet again with this strange old city.

12 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I enjoyed this hot and buggy trubute to Savannah! I do hate hot and we are not nearly as hot as you all are down there. Yes, the Swiss Alps sound really good about now!

Love the pic of the crabs...wow!!

Betsy Brock said...

Stay cool!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Lord, you are so right about Savannah. We try to never visit in the summer. But how I do love to go to Elizabeth's on 37th for dinner, no matter the season!
Get that air-conditioner fixed!

Sometimes It's Good said...

What's it like in October. That's when I'm coming and I can't wait!

Ottilias Veranda said...

Hope You feel OK ,it´s not fun to be sick when it´s hot! I wouldn´t mind visiting Savannah in the summer (cause I´m born in the sauna You know!) Just kidding..but i´d rather have hot than too cold!

Liisa

steviewren said...

Been there once...it was May and already hot as Hades. I do not glow like all Southern ladies are supposed too...I am afraid that I sweat...like a pig. As I am from a neighboring state to your west I am used to humidity, but not the variety Savannah is known for. I'll be back one day...in December.

Bless you for being able to enjoy Savannah in the summertime.

Unknown said...

About the ACV, Em, if it smells strong, add a little more water. Add the lavender to suit.I added probably 10 drops in about 16 oz. w/ about 1 1/2" of ACV then the rest water.You smell the vinegar as you rinse it through, but I promise, after you dry your hair it smells more like lavender. I don't use conditioner always because the ACV normalizes the ph. It may take your hair a week or so to adjust, but if you feel you really need it, use a detangler. (I haven't searched this aspect out yet.)Since my hair's short, I don't really need cond.

BTW...STEP AWAY FROM THE SUAVE!

Unknown said...

PS, no it does not lather which takes a bit of getting used to. Just rinse it through and then I rinse it out of my hair. I promise your hair will be clean after.

Unknown said...

PS, no it does not lather which takes a bit of getting used to. Just rinse it through and then I rinse it out of my hair. I promise your hair will be clean after.

Merisi said...

I came over here from "Willow" and enjoyed your tribute to a city I love! I visited during early spring and late fall, but know what you are talking about regarding high humidity from back home in DC. I now live in Vienna, with hot summers but low humidity (and no air-conditioning, which is a blessing in these days of high energy prices).

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I know what you mean! i live in south Miss.Its swelting here.You just can't be outdoors very long,unless near water you can jump in.Even thats warm.But it sure is pretty down south,isn't it? Hugs Marie Antionette

Unknown said...

The doctor! Have you been yet? How many questions did you ask? Do you have an ultrasound pic to share? Details! I'm dying for details!